Thursday, January 4, 2024

Notes on SQL

Quick note today-- I'm wrapping up on an SQL / ETL bootcamp and wanted to mention on my coding journey that I think others will understand.

A hurdle I've had to get over is that immediate panic when something goes wrong. I fall prey to wanting to be perfect all the time. I'm using a tutorial from Alex the Analyst in the example--he's amazing, but from a pedagogical point of view doesn't quite foster strong foundational learning--best to use the manual and learn something yourself though. Alex can't do that for you, and almost nobody can do that for you.


So without the right questions to ask, do you even know how to get out of this mess? You probably do. But I did not and didn't know the prompt to ask ChatGPT, nobody to ask, and needed to sift through the SQL manual again, exactly how people learning new technology have to figure things out. It was the USE [database] portion that was missing, and everything else turned out to be just fine without my panic.


This kind of dumb, level one thing happens to me regularly. Sometimes 2 months into a new language I'll forget the simplest step, and review all my Youtubers only to realize they don't have the answer covered.

So this post is about learning to use user manuals. Making sure that you go through at least some of it on your own, and make sure you foster some of that curiosity and self-exploration as if you are an explorer.

Also one last funny thing. Small assignment for class to create a database diagram example. Love this kind of design thing, hate that I don't know of a program that makes it easy to both visualize AND customize the work, so I just draw it with a free program and then customize it with Paint (lol, I know, it'll get better).


>'
Okay, see ya!




No comments:

Post a Comment