Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year! Working with Godot, Considering the Value of Low-Definition Sprites

I have been thinking long and hard about what kind of style my terrible first game should be in, and I've decided to draw it in chibi pixels, just like my old sprites from RPG Maker.


Some friends have commented, "He's so cute!" Which I actually really appreciate so much that it's changed the direction from where I thought I might go with this platformer. There's something psychologically magical about poor graphics which forces the player to fill in any gaps and imagine what the objects and characters would look like if they were life-sized. I haven't decided whether or not I'd include full scale character portraits as they leave less to the imagination:

Also, drawing this gal took me like 4 hours. It's a lot to consider while DALL-E or Microsoft Design may churn something like this out in mere moments!

As for coding this time, I've realized that Godot includes quite a lot of built-in scripts for designing a game. I'm working with 2D graphics at the moment, and I find it neat that they've implemented jump physics and gravity into the script templates. You can see from the screencap below that Godot provides the developer with speed and jump velocity.




That's all for today. I'm meeting with my friends later today to discus different mechanics in games; we've been refining our ideas to think of what would be an interesting game to start out with and what would be required to implement that.




No comments:

Post a Comment